Thursday, July 24, 2008

Good Dream Catcher

There have been times in my life when I felt afraid of falling asleep simply because I was scared of having a dream. Yes, not just nightmares, but dreams in general. Even the good ones. It seemed to me, during those times, that whatever dream I may have, be it good or bad, it will ultimately end up making me feel like staying in bed when I wake up in the morning.

If it was a bad dream, then I'd feel bad when I wake up simply because I went through a horrible event which at the time, I thought was real.
If it was a good dream, I'd be happy, until that point when I wake up and realize that it was all a dream. And then I'd start feeling bad because now I know I was just being led on and none of it was true.

During those times, I longed to have dreamless sleep. I even wondered if there was a dreamcatcher that did its job of... well... catching dreams. Yeah, catching dreams. All of them. I wanted a dreamcatcher, not just a nightmarecatcher. I know, I know... the dreamcatcher was originally a Native American symbol made out of threads of sinew woven around a circular frame made of willow and adorned with feathers, which when hung above the bed would help protect sleeping children from nightmares. Supposedly only good dreams could filter through and the nightmares would get snared by the web and would disappear as soon as the light of day arrives.

Still, I wanted one that could catch all kinds of dreams and live up to the literal meaning of its name.

Okay, forget the nightmares. I mean, what is the purpose of having a good dream if it is as ephemeral as the sand that we wipe away from our eyes when we wake up in the morning? Does it do us any good besides the fact that it makes us feel how wonderful it is to have something which, when we wake up, we realize we never really had?

Sometimes, I think it's better to have bad dreams. At least when you wake up, you can say, "Whew, I'm glad that's over."

Not, "Oh... it wasn't real after all..."