Friday, July 25, 2008

Might Be Overkill

Sometimes, if not often, we find it hard to convey our feelings using our own words. It could be that the emotions are too abstract and vague or too intangible for our concrete verbal skills to grasp. It could also be that deep within ourselves, we know that no matter what sentence we construct, it would fall short of the meaning we wish to impart.
During those times, we content ourselves with letting other people speak for us, hoping that at a more eloquent time, we would no longer need their help. We look to the words they have uttered, whether it be in poetry or in prose and try to find our feelings being given life, somewhere within their expression. Tonight, I would like to borrow someone else's words for mine fail me.

Music has always been a big part of my life and I look in different places to find songs. I heard this one while watching an episode of Scrubs.


Overkill ( Colin Hay)

I can't get to sleep
I think about the implications
Of diving in too deep
And possibly the complications

Especially at night
I worry over situations
I know I'll be alright
Perhaps it's just imagination

Day after day it reappears
Night after night my heartbeat shows the fear
Ghosts appear and fade away

Alone between the sheets
Only brings exasperation
It's time to walk the streets
Smell the desperation

At least there's pretty lights
And though there's little variation
It nullifies the night from overkill

Day after day it reappears
Night after night my heartbeat shows the fear
Ghosts appear and fade away
Come back another day

I can't get to sleep
I think about the implications
Of diving in too deep
And possibly the complications

Especially at night
I worry over situations
I know I'll be alright
It's just overkill

Day after day it reappears
Night after night my heartbeat shows the fear
Ghosts appear and fade away
Ghosts appear and fade away
Ghosts appear and fade away


I really liked this song, not only because of its lyrics but also because of its melody. If you can find time, try listening to it. You might like it too.
Here's a YouTube link for quick reference: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RZ45xrtNnzk

Enjoy.